Today's guest poster is a magical photographer (and a lady
I idolise!) who makes dreams come true - the wonderful Kitty
Gallannaugh. Kitty will be showing us how to make dreamy
firefly jars in this wonderful little tutorial. Be sure to take
a peek at her blog, Searching For Tomorrow.
Ever since a tiny thing with grazed elbows, I have found fireflies to be one of the most mesmerizing insects out there. Unfortunately a lack of their existence in the UK leaves me dreaming of one day finding myself amongst them. Until then, I've put together a very easy way of creating your own to light up these colder, darker winter days (and to also keep your inner child happy).
You will need:
- Jar (a jam jar would also work)
- Aqua beads “Aqualinos” – a lot of good florists will stock these, but you can also buy them online
- Waterproof LED lights
- Jug of water
1. Make sure your chosen jar is clean of dust, or jam!
2. Add your aqualinos water beads to a ¼ of your jar.
3. Pour the water in, but make sure you leave the top layer of water beads visible (this will give the ‘water’ a more solid attribute). Watch out, the beads do have a tendency to jump and bounce!
4. Add in a handful of glitter of any colour you fancy (I used silver). The lights will illuminate the glitter and give the effect of little magical floaters.
5. Put your LED lights in, some of them may sink but they can also sit on the top layer of water beads if you want.
6. Wait until night and watch your room glow a warm purple-blue. Shake the jar gently to unsettle the glitter and enjoy your little magical glass world.
7. Dream on!